Question about hostap_rx_skb

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Jun 8 19:11:10 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:03:02PM +0100, caeiro wrote:

> In hostap_rx_skb it appears
>
> /* skb: rxdesc + (possible reassembled) full plaintext payload */
>
> payload = skb->data + sizeof (*rxdesc);
> ethertype = (payload[6] << 8) | payload[7];
>
> my question is: doesn't payload point to the body message (data intoduced after tx descriptor before transmition)?

I do not understand your question. That function is in RX path and then
you refer to TX operations.. payload in the hostap_rx_skb() is pointing
to the payload of IEEE 802.11 packet, i.e., the first octet after IEEE
802.11 header.

> Just some more questions: How can I see the body of the messages sent or received? With ethereal can I see that? And 802.11 messages with reserved subtypes?

You can use Ethereal to see full 802.11 messages when running the Host
AP driver in monitor mode. The current driver version does not support
this in other than monitor mode, so you cannot see the full contents of
all sent/received frames in normal operation modes. When hostapd is
used, you can use Ethereal to capture some 802.11 management frames from
wlan#ap interface.