can someone please tell me about unresolved deps, please?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Jun 5 19:53:11 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 06:41:31PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> I could reproduce your problem by undefining CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS.  You
> should define CONFIG_NET_RADIO (Wireless LAN) in the kernel's .config -
> that would enable CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS.
>
> Better protection against this case should be implemented.  For example,
> by this patch:

> +ifndef CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS
> +$(error Wireless LAN is not enabled in the kernel)
> +endif

No, that would break Linux 2.2.x and Linux 2.4.x/2.5.x when
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS is not defined. As confusing as it is, wireless
extensions are configured with CONFIG_NET_RADIO, not
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS (which only enables new options in 'make *config').

Anyway, I think that the driver used to work without wireless
extensions and I'll take a quick look on whether this could be fixed
without completely preventing the compilation without wireless
extensions. The current hostap_ioctl.c does not compile anymore without
wireless extensions, but I can probably just #ifdef WIRELESS_EXT it
completely.. Doing the same for linux/wireless.h inclusion should fix
the unresolved deps.

I will probably add a warning about !CONFIG_NET_RADIO, but it will be an
error only if I cannot easily make the driver to compile without
linux/wireless.h.