Prism2/2.5/3 Host AP - new release v0.0.4 - 2003-07-27

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Jul 27 20:58:35 PDT 2003

A new version of Prism2 Host AP driver was just released and it is now
available from http://hostap.epitest.fi/

This is mostly a bug fix release, but there are also couple of new
features and some design/code cleanup. I was going to release this
earlier, but other projects and vacation etc. limited the amount of
time I had available for Host AP driver.. I have not yet gone through
all the emails I have pending (well, OK, I have about 500 left ;-) so
some of the submitted patches have not been merged in. I will try to
continue processing these messages and otherwise work mostly in bug
fixing mode in the near future.

2003-07-27 - v0.0.4

* moved non-hardware specific RX code from hostap_hw.c into a new file,
  hostap_80211_rx.c and removed Prism2 RX descriptor dependency from
  hostap_ap.c
* fixed number of compilation issues (RH9 kernel, *.mod files to local
  directory, 2.4.x compilation with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS, external
  pcmcia-cs)
* removed extra tasklet that was used with TX callback handler
* update basic rate set automatically when changing supported rate set
* fixed compilation without Linux Wireless Extensions
  (CONFIG_NET_RADIO)
  (this is not recommended, but should work now; it will limit driver
  functionality)
* use less aggressive transmit rate decreasing algorithm
* fixed inactivity expiration of stations using power saving mode
* fixed sending of IEEE 802.1X frames to buffer them if STA is in power
  saving mode
* removed backward compatibility code for Linux Wireless Extensions
  versions older than ver 9
* added module parameter 'dev_template' for setting the device name
  template (default: 'wlan%d'); this is for hostap_{cs,pci,plx}.o
* changed monitor mode to use pseudo-IBSS mode instead of Host AP mode
  to avoid sending out Beacon and ProbeResp frames
* fixed enh_sec setting (hide SSID) to reset Port0 so that the changes
  to the beacon are taken into use immediately
* added support for selection which authentication algorithm to use
  in station mode (prism2_param 'ap_auth_algs', 1 = open system,
  2 = shared key (requires WEP), 3 = both, default)
  (ap_auth_algs was previously used only in AP/Master mode, but it is
  now also used for STA mode configuration)
* added support for manual scan and roaming mode (managed/ad-hoc);
  prism2_param host_roaming 2; this disabled automatic IEEE 802.11
  scans and gives more control to user space programs using Linux
  wireless extensions (see 'Roaming in station mode' section in
  README file for more information)
* process beacon frames in kernel driver even when hostapd is used
  (this updates AP tables and allows automatic WDS link generation)
* removed TX power controlling (iwconfig txpower) since the
  experimental algorithm in the driver did not include any feedback
  from the measured TX power and could allow TX power values that cause
  interference or signal quality issues; now only txpower 'off' and
  'auto' are allowed. TX power controlling will be returned after
  proper algorithm using feedback loop has been implemented.