Merging HostAP into Linux 2.6

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Jul 22 08:56:30 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 11:32:37AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> I remember it was discussed that HostAP could be merged into the Linux
> kernel.  Now Linux is in the 2.6.0-test series, it may be last chance to
> push HostAP, or we won't see it in 2.6 series.

It looks like this is not going to happen for 2.6 series. As far as I
can see, Host AP driver would be ready for this, but Jeff Garzik seems
to require that own WEP implementation (hostap_crypt_wep) would be
replaced with one that is using CryptoAPI. However, current CryptoAPI
does not support stream ciphers which would be required for this.

I did start looking into this some time ago, but most probably I will
not have enough time to finish this (and this is not exactly my top
priority, since hostap_crypt_wep is already working fine). Unless the
requirement about the use of CryptoAPI changes, I don't think the merge
is going to happen before Linux 2.7.

> It could be argued that HostAP has a lot of userspace code that still
> needs to be maintained separately.  Bot the same applies to other projects
> like ALSA, and this didn't prevent the kernel part of ALSA from getting
> into the kernel.

Anyway, I'm considering of separating user space hostapd from the driver
tarball at some point.. I don't think this is an issue with kernel tree
merge.