delay in adhoc mode

Jiang Jay Zhang jayzhcn
Fri Jul 18 13:30:32 PDT 2003

Hello,

I currently work on a research project that trying to use 802.11 for
very short communication period in adhoc mode, say finish the whole
communication session in 1 second. I choosed HostAP as the starting
point as it is relatively simple and its code is very clean.

We found that the association is fast (about 10ms), but a lot of time is
wasted on scanning(Probe Request and Response). Even we spicify the
channel and ssid with iwconfig. Is there any method to reduce the delay
of probe in adhoc mode? And we also noticed that there is a passive mode
of scanning in the 802.11 standard, but we don't know how to set it with
HostAP.

I will be grateful if anyone can provide some advise.

Thanks

Jay.