Senao 2511 CD - Flash Primary & Secondary - Problems

Pavel Roskin proski
Thu Jul 17 13:58:25 PDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Jun Sun wrote:

> I heard quite a few complains about window based update.  If it works,
> it is great.  If it does not work as expected, you can't anything
> about it.

I wrote to this list already that installing drivers for Linksys WPC11 2.5
helps on Windows 2000.  Also, flashing firmware to a card that has
firmware in RAM doesn't work.  If possible, this option should be turned
off in the drivers.

> I like to hear more experience about using Linux-based
> flashing update, i.e., using prsim2_dl or prsim2_srec.
> If I get some clear clues, I think I am willing to try it out.

prism2_srec cannot be used for flashing primary firmware.  The reason is
that after the primary firmware is loaded, the card cannot be initialized
by the HostAP driver, which is considered fatal and prevents loading the
secondary firmware.

linux-wlan-ng has a special state for firmware download, in which it
doesn't try to initialize the card.  I have successfully used prism2dl to
upgrade both primary and secondary firmware.

I have just released the new unofficial version of prism2dl.  It has some
additional sanity checks that should prevent flashing firmware meant for
RAM download.

However, hardware compatibility is still not checked, so it's still
possible to kill a Prism 2 card by flashing firmware for Prism 2.5.  The
necessary checks are quite complex.  It may be easier to fix primary
firmware download in prism2_srec.

Download prism2dl here: http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/prism2dl/

--
Regards,