Cross compiling hostap

Mike Saywell ms
Tue Jul 15 01:41:00 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile hostap on one machine for use on another, but I'm
having problems with missing symbols, module versions in particular seem
to be giving me grief.

I'm using the same kernel source and .config on the compilation box as
what's running on the target board so there shouldn't be any problems?

fyi the target is a soekris board running pebble linux
(http://nycwireless.com/pebble)

Here's what I do:

tar xzvf linux-2.4.20.tar.gz
cp .config from the pebble
make oldconfig dep

Edit hostap Makefile to compile against above source tree.

Compile hostap, copy modules from driver/modules to target.  Reboot and
run dpmod -ae, whereupon I get pages of missing symbols.

pebble:~# depmod -ae
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-pebble/net/hostap.o
depmod:         __netdev_watchdog_up_R79b12f8c
depmod:         alloc_skb_Rc11cf561
depmod:         __kfree_skb_R35ab9e92
pebble:~# grep __netdev_watchdog_up /proc/ksyms
c01aa520 __netdev_watchdog_up_Rf53601b5
pebble:~# grep  alloc_skb /proc/ksyms
c019fa70 alloc_skb_Rdb69585e

I'm assured the kernel on the target is vanilla 2.4.20, so what could
cause the differences in version numbers?  Would the compiler make any
difference?  I'd rather not have to change the kernel on the target if
at all possible...

Thanks in advance,

Mike