No subject

Gopalakrishnan Raman graman
Tue Jul 8 12:14:16 PDT 2003

Hi
On a related note, I noticed the following behavior when using the hostap driver.
1. I've configured my D-Link NIC to operate as a station using the command
	iwconfig wlan0 essid new1 mode Managed
    and it associated fine with another AP (whose essid is new1).
2. Prior to this I used prism2_srec to upgrade my NICs firmware to RF010702.HEX
    firmware
3. I then put my NIC in monitor mode to sniff 802.11 packets using Ethereal using the
    command
	iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    Ethereal works just fine and picks up all the .11 frames

PROBLEM:
========
4. I now tried to associate another STA with the AP. Unexpectedly, my NIC card that
    was in monitor mode started replying to probe requests from the STA. The STA got
    confused and sent .11 authentication request to my NIC card rather than the AP.

QUESTION:
========
    How can I prevent my hostap controlled NIC card behaving as an AP when it is monitor mode ?
    Ideally, I would like to use my hostap driver as a passive 802.11 monitor and not behave as an AP.

Thanks
-gopal