Tx timed out! Resetting card (with OpenAP)

Robert Botha flash
Wed Jan 8 03:59:15 PST 2003

> > It seems from the Messages you pasted that you're using the builtin
kernel
> > pcmcia, and not the external package.
> > Have you tried using the external package seperately and disabling the
> > kernel drivers?
> > I've had endless hassles with the kernel pcmcia and most of them went
away
> > when I switched to the pcmcia-cs package.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, i can give that a shot.  It's possible that the
> reason this was never done by the original OpenAP developers, with whose
work
> i'm starting, is that the pcmcia driver modules are too large (the boot
media
> for this platform is a mere 1MB of flash, and there's not much free space
left
> on it) in which case i'd be stuck with the kernel pcmcia.

In theory the size difference should be minimal.
After all, the kernel pcmcia comes from the same tree..it's just a much
older version.
In the kernel you're using it's version 3.1.22

> What kind of problems did you have with kernel pcmcia and hostap?  Any way
> get a better idea whether this is a pcmcia issue or a hostap issue?

Well, my issues were before I even knew about hostap :)
I use a PCMCIA-PCI bridge. I'd get alot of Resource Unavailable or IRQ 0
type errors.
And if it worked (normally by restarting the pcmcia subsystem) I'd get low
throughput and Tx Timeouts, this was using an Orinoco Silver card with
orinoco_cs.
It might be different on a Prism2 card with the hostap driver.
I never tried kernel pcmcia again since I changed to pcmcia-cs.
Most of the IRQ issues went away as pcmcia-cs matured.
I think the best version I've used so far is 3.1.34
I find that 3.2.x doesn't work well for me, it keeps crashing the machine
after a day or two.

Regards,
-Robert.