hostap doesn't understand wireless commands

Praedor Atrebates praedor
Wed Feb 19 06:01:03 PST 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 02:01 pm, Praedor Atrebates wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2003 01:28 pm, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> > Praedor Atrebates wrote :
> > > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on device
> > > wlan0 Invalid argument.
> >
> > 	Weird... Do :
> > 		iwconfig --version
> > 	And report the result...

There are a couple more results to report.  After a successful (finally)
rebuild of the 2.4.19 mandrake kernel with separate pcmcia-cs-3.1.20 package,
I rebuilt hostap-2002-10-12 and wireless-tools-25-1mdk.  I removed the
installed iwconfig file and made sure it no longer existed.  I installed the
25-1 version again and tried iwconfig.  I didn't get the complaint about not
supporting all features but I still only get a listing of essid, tx power,
encryption key on/off, and signal/noise numbers.  No freq, no channel.
Trying to set the channel still an error:

Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04):
SET failed on device wlan0 ; invalid argument.

The full output of iwconfig --version is:

iwconfig  Version 25
   Compatible with Wireless Extension v15 or earlier, currently
   compiled with Wireless Extension v13.

wlan0  Recommend Wireless Extension v13 or later, currently
   compiled with Wireless Extension v13.