PLX Card Installation Error

Mark Glines mark-hostap
Fri Feb 7 07:09:55 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 04:51:42PM +0200, Achilleas Kotsis wrote:
> > I did try the same PCMCIA card plugged in to the PCMCIA slot, it works
> > excellent.
> > But when I plug in my PCMCIA card on a PCI card (PLX) and then
> > try install it gives me the above error.
>
> If you have a PCMCIA card, then you don't have a PLX card.
> You can use a PCI (or ISA) to PCMCIA bridge, but your PCMCIA card does not
> become a PLX card.

This is not always true.  If the PCI card has an actual PCMCIA or
CardBus controller on it, then you'll continue to use the PCMCIA
driver.  If, however, you're using a cheap gate-array adapter like
the Linksys WDT11, then you would use the PLX driver.  This is
exactly what the PLX driver is for, in fact.  The latter is far
less expensive, but only the former supports hot swap.

Mark