Channel problem with hostap

David Goodenough david.goodenough
Fri Dec 19 10:24:03 PST 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 16:03, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 04:50:40PM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I have a machine with hostap, using Senao cards.  There are two cards in
> > the machine, and when I use iwlist wlan1 scan it finds (just) the partner
> > (ad-hoc mode) station and lists its channel (10).  I then try to set the
> > card (using iwconfig) to channel 10, and it keeps resetting to channel 1.
>
> Could you please describe your configuration with bit more detail? You
> have two cards in the same host and one (or both?) of them is in ad-hoc
> mode. Do you use the same SSID on them? Please note that ad-hoc mode is
> trying to join an existing IBSS, so if there is an existing IBSS on
> channel 1 with the same SSID, the card is likely to join that IBSS
> instead of creating a new IBSS on the channel you selected.

There are two cards in the same host.  They have different essid's, and
one is in ad-hoc mode, the other in master node.

When I do a an iwlist on the ad-hoc card it sometimes lists the other end
and lists it as using the higher (channel 10) frequency, but it (and iwconfig)
list the card at this end as being on channel 1.  There is another link in the
area which might be overlapping, which does actually have the same
essid, I will try to change that to see if that fixes it.  I had not realised
that an ad-hoc channel would try use a different channel than the one
it had been told to.

BTW, what is the limit on the length of essid, I could not find this
documented in the man files.

Regards

David