HostAP with USB

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Dec 16 08:14:35 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 09:05:06PM +0200, Dvir Oren wrote:

> Are there any plans for USB support under host AP?

There is a patch for an old version of the Host AP driver for USB
support. However, I haven't had enough time to look into merging these
changes. In theory, this is still in my to do list, but in practice,
this is not very likely to get any cycles in the foreseeable future. In
addition, I'm not sure whether this patch is publicly available
anywhere.

If I have understood correctly, the old patch was based on linux-wlan-ng
driver. There has been a lot of work going on with the USB support in
that driver, so it might be worthwhile to consider that as a new
starting point _if_ someone is interested in doing a new port. I cannot
promise much support for this, but if the required changes are minimal
to generic Host AP code, I'm certainly willing to consider merging the
code. However, I would highly recommend doing this in a more open way
(i.e., provide patches/design ideas early on) if an eventual merge is a
goal.