Unresolved symbols with 0.1.2

Pavel Roskin proski
Mon Dec 15 11:44:26 PST 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, mrcool at stupidgamerz.com wrote:

>   Im almost scared to ask anymore questions, but dont know where else to
> ask...

Google is your friend.  There are two hits for hfa384x_events_no_bap1, and
one of them mentions the reason - PRISM2_BUS_MASTER.

>   SuSE 80, 2.4.18 stock kernel, using the 0.1.2 release of the driver gives
> the following error message on "make install_pci":
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/net/hostap_pci.o
> depmod:         hfa384x_events_no_bap1

Don't enable PRISM2_BUS_MASTER.  This code is incomplete and has been
broken for years.  hfa384x_events_no_bap1() has never been written.  It
may be not hard to write that function looking at
hfa384x_events_no_bap0(), but I'm afraid there will be more bit rot found
if you touch it.  The BAP handling changed since the bus master code was
written.  All the bus master code should be verified, not just massaged
into compiling.

I actually wanted to raise this question long ago, but didn't have a
chance.  Sorry for that.

Jouni, we really need to do something about it.  Either there should be a
WARNING IN ALL CAPITALS just above PRISM2_BUS_MASTER in hostap_config.h,
or hfa384x_events_no_bap1() should be written and the driver tested at
least for minimal functionality.  Users are wasting time playing with
broken options.

> The battery for the motherboard on this computer is dead, so the CMOS
> settings reset everytime the computer resets, consequently the clock
> resets back to 1/1/96, otherwise it works fine.  The "make" command
> complains about a clock skew, but otherwise seems to compile fine.
> Could this be the problem?

No, but you may want to run ntpdate at startup.  Or at least touch all
files in the hostap sources:
find . -type f -exec touch {} \;

>  BTW, the pci card in question IS the new DWL-520 ver E1.  Is it
> possible that BECAUSE it has no firmware that it gives this error?

No.  Problems with loading modules cannot be related to the hardware
because the hardware is not accessed before the module is fully loaded.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin