bridge_packets in master mode

Jiri Fojtasek jiri.fojtasek
Sun Aug 31 04:09:13 PDT 2003

Jouni Malinen wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 05:39:28PM +0200, WiNet - Biuro handlowe wrote:
>

>>YI do it because I want control traffic between STA's in my LinuxBox,
>>by tc in the kernel. Bridge packet in hostap is out of soft control ;-(
>>

>The best way of doing this might be to modify Linux bridging code to
>understand a bit more about how IEEE 802.11 access points operate and
>allow it to bridge broadcast packets back to the same interface in this
>case.
>

>>I plan do it by routing table ;-)
>>

>And that will not work. I think you can convinse Linux to route unicast
>packets back to the same interface and even disable ICMP redirects that
>are normally sent in this case. However, IP routing does not route
>broadcast frames (like ARP request from STA1 to get STA2's MAC address).
>In other words, you would need to modify Linux kernel code for this,
>too.

I have done it by this:

1. disabled ICMP redirects
        for f in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/accept_redirects; do
        echo 0 > $f
        done
        for f in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/send_redirects; do
        echo 0 > $f
        done

2. Every sta uses subnet mask 255.255.255.252

3. Bridge br0 have aliases for every sta gateway eg:
br0:1 192.168.1.1
br0:2 192.168.1.5
br0:3 192.168.1.9
etc ....

4./ sta uses IP's:
192.168.1.2
192.168.1.6
192.168.1.10
etc ...

So, the "brigding" have done the router :), and traffics betwen STA's
can be classified by tc. For WDS devices i use the same subnet ...

Jiri