Primary Firmware Download

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Aug 22 17:51:43 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:23:39AM -0400, Foy, Patrick wrote:

> 2. At run time, the hostap_download reads the firmware from global memory
> and then downloads the content into the WLAN card.
>
> We have an embedded application that requires all the download work to be
> done in the driver because if the card goes through a reset, the application
> might not know about the reset and therefore won't reload the firmware into
> RAM.

You might want to take a look at the CVS version of the Host AP driver
and persistent mode for volatile download.. Adding '-p' flag for the
prism2_srec will request the driver to keep a copy of the image in
kernel memory and automatically downlod it in case of hw_reset.

> The prism2_srec utility can be run on any machine to auto generate the
> primary_fw.h and secondary_fw.h files.

Please note that there are some issues with linking in non-GPL code to
the kernel modules and I would never accept this kind of change to be
added to the Host AP distribution.

> Any ideas how I can update the PDA to fix the version information?

By plugging the firmware properly using the PDA information of the card
that is going to use the image and not by using the same PDA for all
downloads.