hostap 0.0.4/NICID 8002 wep trouble

Hans-Joachim Klingshirn hajo
Fri Aug 22 15:46:54 PDT 2003

Hi,

I am trying to enable wep on a wireless lan connection between two
computers running hostap 0.0.4, with no success so far.

The hardware in the ap (pcmcia card in plx adapter, hostap_plx):

hostap_diag wlan0 output:
NICID: id=0x8002 v1.0.0 (HWB3163-01,02,03,04 Rev A)
PRIID: id=0x0015 v0.3.0
STAID: id=0x001f v0.7.6 (station firmware)

lspci output:
00:0c.0 Network controller: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] SMC2602W
EZConnect / Addtron AWA-100 (rev 02)

The hardware in the client (minipci-card, hostap_pci):

hostap_diag wlan0 output
NICID: id=0x8013 v1.0.0 (PRISM II (2.5) Mini-PCI (SST parallel flash))
PRIID: id=0x0015 v1.1.0
STAID: id=0x001f v1.4.9 (station firmware)

lspci output
01:02.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset
(rev 01)

Kernel is 2.4.21, wireless tools are v26, interfaces are v14(client) and v15(ap)

Problem: When loading hostap on the ap, it disables card-based wep, so I
run hostapd on the ap box. Without activating wep, everything works fine.
When activating wep with a 40bit key, no data can be transmitted.
hostap(d) on the ap box does not give any log messages concerning wep (log
level set to maximum). The hostap.conf on the ap box is the standard
config file as in the 0.0.4 distribution, only log levels and ssid have
been changed.

The client box already tested ok with hostap and wep when used in another setup,
so the problem is with the ap.

Concerning the wep problem: do I make any obvious mistakes? How can I debug the
problem properly?

Concerning the prism card in the access point: NICID is 8002, the firmware is very old. I read
a bit about flashing the firmware, but the NICID 8002 does not show up in the compatibility
charts for firmwares, as linked to from the firmware flashing mini-howto. What strange card do
I have here?

TIA,

HaJo Klingshirn

--