Unable to Access Inet via HostAP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Aug 15 19:06:41 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:50:33PM -0400, Landon Chelf wrote:

> Thanx in advance to anyone who can help me get this going.  I have
> tinkered around and around with this and I have it functioning as a
> visible access point that I can connect to.  My problem comes in when
> trying to access the internet.

You do not fully describe your network so one needs to guess some parts
of it.. And yes, this is somewhat off topic for Host AP mailing list,
since it sounds like the wireless part is actually working ;-).

> /etc/sysconfig/iptables file:
> :FORWARD DROP [0:0]
> -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o wlan0 -j ACCEPT
> -A FORWARD -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

These were all rules you had for FORWARD chain. In other words, you
allow connections to be started from eth0 to wlan0 and you allow packets
to existing connection from wlan0 to eth0. However, you do not allow any
new connections from wlan0 to any host that requires IP routing (i.e.,
to any other host apart from the AP).