Tx power in Linksys WPC 11 v3.0

Joe Parks jphstap
Fri Aug 15 15:05:46 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 17:36, Dilip Sundarraj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read an earlier  mail in the hostap mailing list about the problem with
> power control with Linksys WPC11. The minimum value of Tx power that was
> observed had a transmission range of 8m. However, we require a shorter
> range than this.  I was wondering if there is a card which can provide a
> shorter Tx range than 8m.

You can try using an external antenna on a card that supports them, such
as the Zcomax cards.   If you use the foil from a gum wrapper as a
dipole that might be terrible enough to give you a very short range ;)

Dropping an ordinary plastic-coated dipole into a test-tube filled with
water should attenuate the signal quite nicely too.

If you're not just looking to shorten your range, but also to save
power, then my recommendations are just silly.   Sorry about that.