Distance Problems

Michael Shuler mike
Wed Aug 13 22:00:39 PDT 2003

We are having a problem with ~20 mile PTP link using hostap as in AP
"master" mode on one side and Client "managed" mode on the other.  The AP
will show the association with good signal and noise levels but the client
will not associate.  We also tried using a WinXP laptop hooked up to the
same PCMCIA card (Zcomax/SMC) and antenna combination with no luck...we are
however able to associate to an Orinoco AP that is 10 ft. away from the
hostap AP system (on a different frequency of course) so we know the link is
physically possible.  We drove 10 miles close and tried the same config
standing on the ground instead of on the grain elevators (150' each) and it
worked great.  This would lead me to believe that there is some sort of
timing issue in the hostap driver that needs to be increased to support long
distance links.  I noticed that the AP appears to be receiving packets but
not transmitting any.  Any help would be appreciated.