SMP Frequent Lockups

John Leach john
Sat Aug 2 05:55:21 PDT 2003

I've had the same with my Netgear PCI card with kernel 2.4.20 (I tried
the provided kernel RPMs (rebuilt for SMP of course) and tried with the
latest (030722) hostap from cvs patched in to the same kernel.

The machine works fine (no lockups in weeks of use) with a UP kernel,
but in SMP it will hard lock requiring a powercycle within a few
minutes.

 localhost kernel: hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wlan0
 localhost kernel: prism2_hw_init()
 localhost kernel: prism2_hw_init: initialized in 17954 iterations
 localhost kernel: wlan0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
 localhost kernel: wlan0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.0.7
 localhost kernel: wlan0: STA: id=0x1f v1.3.6
 localhost kernel: wlan0: defaulting to host-based encryption as a workaround for firmware bug in Host AP mode WEP
 localhost kernel: wlan0: defaulting to bogus WDS frame as a workaround for firmware bug in Host AP mode WDS
 localhost kernel: wlan0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xe4000000, irq=16
 localhost kernel: hostap_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'

I've now moved to a uniprocessor machine, but if you need me to I could
swap cards back and do some tests (if nobody else can).

Thanks for the great work so far.

John.

--
GPG KEY: B89C D450 5B2C 74D8 58FB A360 9B06 B5C2 26F0 3047
   HTTP: http://www.johnleach.co.uk