Help With Building a Smart Relay [keywords: repeater, wireless to wireless bridge, range extender.]

Phill Kenoyer phill
Fri Apr 11 10:27:37 PDT 2003

I'm sorry if this has been covered before.  I have gone over all the
archives and could not find reference to it.

My current setup:

WAP11(- - - - -)WET11===DWL-900AP+(- - - - -)Clients

I have a main antenna tower. It has about 5 clients connected to it.  I
also have three "relays" connected to it.  The relay is a WET11 and a
DWL-900AP+ connected together with a short ethernet patch cable.  This
allows me to extend the wireless network out further and to get around
trees and mountains.  The problem that I have is that the WAP11's seem
to lock up all the time.  First I thought that I could build some type
of timer to power cycle them every 10 hours.  But I'm not a electronics
geek.

I do have a few old 300MHz system around.  What I'm thinking is to
build a smart relay.  I put two Linksys WMP11 PCI cards into the Linux
box.  I have one running in Master mode and the other running in
Managed mode. I aim a parabolic antenna at my main antenna and an
omnidirectional or sector antenna to the clients. I can ping the
clients and the server from this relay.  But I can't ping from the
client to the server or the server to the client.  I'm not doing
NAT/MASQ.  I know that its a routing problem, but I'm not sure how to
fix it.  I've tried to bridge the two wireless cards, but that does not
work.  Maybe its a IP Tables forward rule or something.  I have been
searching the net for an answer, but I can not find one.

Does anyone here know how I can solve this problem?

Thanks.