Roaming and WDS

Jun Sun jsun
Wed Oct 30 13:49:26 PST 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:29:06PM -0700, john extra wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I was wondering about the relationship between WDS and Roaming

Those are two orthognal issues.  Roaming means multiple APs with
the same ESSID allowing client to move around them.  Those APs,
for example, can be connected through ethernet LAN and involves no
WDS at all.

WDS implies multiple APs connected through the radio (instead of ehternet
LAN in the previous case).  I think in WDS case APs are even allowed
to have different ESSIDs, which will actually disallow roaming .

Jun