Config file for hostap_pci??

Ricardo Galli gallir
Sat Oct 19 16:44:47 PDT 2002

On Sunday 20 October 2002 00:54, Bruce shaped the electrons to shout:
> I have recently installed the hostap driver for a couple of machines, after
> having some trouble with the wlan-ng drivers.
>
> These are client machines, so I am not using the hostap function; just
> using them for general client usage. The clients are connecting to an AP,
> from which they get their IP via DHCP.
>
> I managed to figure out (though not without some head scratching - is this
> documented??) that in order to set up a client, I would have to edit the

In PCMCIA package or in the distributions, for example in Debian you could do
it in /etc/network/interfaces. In Red Hat you can also do it via
/etc/sysconfig/networks-scripts/ifcfg-wlanX

> /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file to expressly set "ESSID="any" (or "myap")",
> and "MODE="managed"". Prior to this, the interface could be brought up but
> I could not get an IP from the DHCP server. Works great now for pcmcia
> wireless card clients.

...or, you can also do it in the PCMCIA conf files... as you did it.

> I also have a desktop with a native PCI prism2 card (the notorious D-Link
> DWL-520). As it does not use pcmcia (and there is therefore no
> /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file), I am not sure where to make the above
> configuration changes.
>
> What is the equivalent to /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts for Prism 2.5 PCI
> wireless cards??

See above.

--
  ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34
       A paperless office has about as much a chance as a paperless bathroom