D-Link DWL-520 hangs machine.

Sam Tilders wireless
Tue Oct 15 23:36:16 PDT 2002

Hi all,

I've just installed a DWL-520 (not the 520+) PCI card in one of my machines
and tried both the prism2_pci driver and the hostap_pci driver.

With the prism2_pci driver I get wlan0 showing in ifconfig -a but if I try and
configure it (eg: ifconfig wlan0 inet 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0) it
tells me "no such device". So I've momentarily given up there. I really
wanted to use the HostAP driver anyway.

With the hostap_pci driver it hangs the machine. I don't get anything in the
logs, I get no output on the console and it is a complete hang, no VT
switching, no keyboard lights.

I have a suspicion it might have something to do with the PCI 2.2 compliance
bit... My motherboard is supposed to be 2.2 (according to the manafacturer -
gigabyte) but dmesg shows:
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfdb71, last bus=3

The card shows in lspci -v as:
00:0c.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor: Unknown device 3873 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: D-Link System Inc: Unknown device 3501
        Memory at ddbff000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

Does anyone have any experience with this card?

--
-- Sam