Correct way to obtain the 802.11 headers with a raw socket?

Hector Velayos hvelayos
Sat Nov 16 17:07:17 PST 2002

Hi all,

which is the way to obtain the 802.11 headers using a raw socket in a
station?

I know that activating the monitor mode (level 2) it is possible and
actually I did. But the station cannot communicate with the AP while in
monitor mode 2 :/ and I would need the station to remain working.

If the monitor mode 2 is not activated, the raw socket (using as protocol
ETH_P_ALL) retrieves 802.3 headers despite the interface is a wireless LAN.

This problem in my code also appears in Ethereal (www.ethereal.com). If
monitor mode is activated, Ethereal interprets the frames as 802.11 frames,
otherwise they are considered 802.3 frames.

Any indication is appreciated.

Hector

--
KTH IMIT - Forum building - 164 40 KISTA - SWEDEN
Tel: +46 8 7904255 Fax: +46 8 752 12 40