Can not get Hostap into monitor mode under Gentoo

Bernard Mentink ebike
Sun Dec 22 15:28:06 PST 2002

Hi all,

I have changed my Linux system over to Gentoo (from Yellowdog) and the
last issue to iron out is my WLan card.

I am using a d-link DWL-650 card with the hostap driver, this worked
very well when I was running Yellowdog.

Normal operation is fine, but I get the following error when trying to
put the device in monitor mode:

 iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    invalid argument "monitor".

The out put from iwpriv is:

 iwpriv wlan0
wlan0     Available private ioctl :
          monitor (8BE4) : set   1 int  & get   0
          readmif (8BE3) : set   1 byte & get   1 byte
          writemif (8BE2) : set   2 byte & get   0
          reset (8BE6) : set   1 int  & get   0
          inquire (8BE8) : set   1 int  & get   0
          set_rid_word (8BEE) : set   2 int  & get   0
          maccmd (8BF0) : set   1 int  & get   0
          wds_add (8BEA) : set  18 char & get   0
          wds_del (8BEC) : set  18 char & get   0
          addmac (8BF2) : set  18 char & get   0
          delmac (8BF4) : set  18 char & get   0
          kickmac (8BF6) : set  18 char & get   0
          prism2_param (8BE0) : set   2 int  & get   0
          getprism2_param (8BE1) : set   1 int  & get   1 int

It seems I am using version 13 of the wireless extensions and version 12
of the tools, as per:

iwconfig
Warning : Device wlan0 has been compiled with version 13
of Wireless Extension, while we are using version 12.
Some things may be broken...

I don't think this is the issue though, I was getting the same warning
under Yellowdog and it worked fine.

On observation from the above though, the monitor ioctl expected by the
tools is (8B06) and by the device (8BE4),
It seems there is a mis-match there.

My wireless tools (from gentoo) is version 24, I seem to remember using
version 25 under YDL.

Can some-one tell me what I should upgrade .... thanks.

Cheers,
Bernie.