ACK timeouts: done in firmware or software?

Brian Capouch brianc
Tue Dec 3 00:29:48 PST 2002

I just read this paper, which I saw mentioned in a mail to the NoCat
list.  I'm doing a rural WISP thing where this might be the eventual
path to nirvana, if I'm reading it right.  Maybe it's old news.

I'm not aware enough to know whether I should assume that my
drivers--HostAP and Agere's AP-1000 bins--currently only wait for a SIFS
period before giving up on an ACK.   If that's what it is could I change
it to length DIFS instead and thereby gain the benefit they posit?

Thanks.

B.

http://www.bell-labs.com/user/kin/papers/802.11.mac2.pdf