releaseyear metadata get_iplayer extracts for Films

David david at kuuru.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 10:49:03 PST 2024

Hi all,

I am using get_iplayer v3.35 to extract metadata for Films and have a
question about how its populating releaseyear. Using the following
examples:-

get_iplayer --metadata-only pid=m001jwmx

get_iplayer --metadata-only pid=b00748sh

m001jwmx, The Beach, returns releaseyear as 2023, whereas I'm expecting
2000.

b00748sh. The French Connection, returns releaseyear as 2006, as expected.

I note that the release notes for 3.32  state, "Added a <releaseyear>
substitution parameter, which is the year a programme was originally
released, if available - otherwise set to <firstbcastyear>. The two
items are often the same for TV and radio episodes, but may be different
for films and archive programmes, e.g., Radio 4 Extra shows."

Unfortunately neither of my examples is currently listed in the iPlayer
schedules on so I am unable to confirm via the website if the Beach does
not the original release year (so its extracting <firstbcastyear>), but
all my spot checks of current films on the iPlayer website have the
orginal release date shown, so it would be surprising if the Beach did
not have it, which makes me wonder if there is some other reason why
get_iplayer cannot return it?

Can anyone advise?

TIA,

David