Help migrating get_iplayer from windows to linux

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Thu Jul 25 12:52:55 PDT 2024

On 2024-07-25 15:26, Dave Widgery wrote:

> My first mistake (possibly) was installing Linux MINT, I had played
> around with it on a friend's machine, and it looked simple enough, of
> course when I go to the next step and try and download get_iplayer,
> there isn't a build for MINT. So before I go about installing a
> different build, I thought I would ask the question.

Unless get_iplayer has changed vastly since I used it (on Windows) it's
just a big perl script, which runs external utilities.  On Windows I
did not grab any kind of installer, just (from elsewhere) got perl for
Windows, then used the perl tool "cpan" to install the tool "cpanminus"
than used that to install other perl modules that get_iplayer needed.

Likewise I looked for LAME, FFMPEG etc (which then, maybe not now, I
dunno) were the utilities that get_iplayer would invoke.

I wanted perl on my system for any user, not just for get_iplayer,
& I wanted to know how it'd been installed.  I wanted LAME etc for
the whole system too.  I didn't want a subsequent install of get_
iplayer to remove any of those or upgrade them (with possible side-
effects for other perl code I might have).

I would think that in any version of linux its package manager would
make acquiring the things that get_iplayer needs simple.

I can't comment on the other questions.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own