get_iplayer 3.35.0-MSWin32-x64 Web PVR not refreshing cache automatically

jon928se at gmail.com jon928se at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 23:45:44 PST 2024

-----Original Message-----
From: get_iplayer <get_iplayer-bounces at lists.infradead.org> On Behalf Of
Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip
Sent: 29 January 2024 03:39
To: ML - get_iplayer <get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: get_iplayer 3.35.0-MSWin32-x64 Web PVR not refreshing cache
automatically

On 2024-01-28 02:50, jon928se at gmail.com wrote:
> I think this started in version 3.34.0. It seems the web PVR is not
> automatically refreshing the cache as it is supposed to, by default
> every 4 hours.
>
> I have Auto-Refresh Cache Interval and Auto-Run PVR Interval both set
> to 4 hours. My installation is essentially exactly as the default
> install apart from specifying different download folders for radio and
> tv.

I've never used the PVR so don't know what normal looks like...

Are you able to tell if any action tries to start every four hours - if not
the trigger for that might be the problem, or does <something> start but
then fail to find things, or find them but fail to update the caches?

I see you mentioned: Windows x64...  Does the PVR use Windows' "task
scheduler" to run the updater every 4 hours or its own mechanism?  If it is
the task scheduler you should be able to find the set-up for that in task
scheduler & see when Windows last thought it ran it & whether it ran ok.
You'll also see the command it runs & eg which userid it runs under.

If something IS starting, does it create a log file when it runs?  If it
dosn't, can you change the parameters it uses so that it does create one?
Maybe for example there's a file permissions problem?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this. Was overseas on business
with no remote access to home PCs.
The PVR doesn't seem to use the windows task scheduler to run the cache
update (or run the PVR) Both seem to be triggered by the PVR Manager
Service, which runs in a CLI box in the background.  No logs are created. A
brief review of the  Previous instructions in the CLI does not mention Cache
refresh but clearly shows repetition of the PVR recording function. As there
is no log created I can't refer back to earlier CLI output to compare if
there are any differences.

The run PVR This works just as well as it has for the last 10 years (every 4
hours or so) but requires the cache to be refreshed so that new versions of
programs that are in the PVR List are downloaded.

Jon