Overwriting lower quality files

MrBrunes mr.brunes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 13:31:19 PDT 2023

Tx to all for the valuable insights and some useful options that I'd
not seen before.

For encoding rates I appreciate the theory with historical programmes
but I've found in practice that there are noticeably fewer blocky
video artefacts with dashfhd1 vs SD.

Comparing audio,  MediaInfo says:
hlshd1                AAC LC SBR        96kps                  48kHz
dashfhd1            AAC LC                128kbps              48kHz
i.e. there is a difference with HD encodings, and I'd assume that
given a lossy encoder then a higher bitrate is to be preferred.

Also on the older SD versions the BBC logo is on the black left
vertical border, but in dashhfd1 it's a semi-transparent BBC FOUR
ident in-screen. So it appears that it is not just a re-encode. If
there were no benefit then why would the Beeb reencode them?
With storage being relatively cheap, I've just opted to go with the
Wildean  'simplest tastes' option. 😉

With YouTube resolutions, then I've discovered that YT often thin out
videos with higher encoding bit rates. Stuff that used to be available
in HD is now only at SD! So I now grab them in HD while I can.
As for TOTP generally, I find the episodes to be entertaining
historical documents, albeit with the various redactions, with classic
renditions just not available elsewhere.