OT yt-dlp and Python snag

fred.d fred.d at timelords.org.uk
Wed Mar 29 04:16:42 PDT 2023

If you liked Fortran, then you should have tried PASCAL. Sure it needed
some extensions but it was simple and it was very hard to write bad code.
A very good contractor wrote an assembler/OS interface to Pascal for us
on a PDP 11 (about 200 lines of code). That allowed us to create a
duplexed (failover cluster) production line control system in 1983
written in PASCAL. It also interfaced to some IBM mainframe (harder) and
a VAX (any youngsters, that's not the sucky thing, look it up).
I can still remember carrying the disk backups on a plane each week with
the necessary import and export documentation. Case had special
dispensation to be carry on luggage as it was as big as a small suitcase
(foam padding) but couldn't go in the hold. Total capacity of that case
2MB!

... but back to PASCAL all my code has a very familiar structure no
matter which of the myriad languages I've played with over the years so
I know what you mean.

Sorry, bit off topic I know but it's horrible weather outside...