Discrepancy between iplayer & get_iplayer

MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News news at macfh.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 11:23:58 PDT 2023

On 23/03/2023 17:50, Expert Geeks wrote:

> I'm having an odd issue where downloading the Select Committee of the
> 'Conduct of Boris Johnson' is a file of 58 minutes regardless of the
> quality (hd, sd & web tried). The file downloaded is always 670mb (or
> thereabouts) so the quality seems to be being ignored.

In the following ...
	gipl
... is a DOSKey abbreviation for ...
	perl <path>\get_iplayer.pl

gipl --tv-quality sd --pid m001krfw --info | find "qualit"
qualities:       editorial: sd,web,mobile
qualities:       original: sd,web,mobile
qualitysizes:    editorial: sd=2298MB,web=2295MB,mobile=720MB [estimated
sizes]
qualitysizes:    original: sd=698MB,web=675MB,mobile=212MB [estimated sizes]

So there's no hd version, and consequently attempting to download it
will have merely loaded the sd version instead.  Further, the sd and web
versions are almost the same size anyway.

> The file is also the same regardless of the method, --pid m001krfw or
> searching by name, whereas the version on the iplayer in the browser is
> the full 170 minutes.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001krfw/select-committees-conduct-of-boris-johnson-inquiry?page=1

gipl --tv-quality sd --pid m001krfw --info | find "duration"
duration:        3000
durations:       editorial: 10200
durations:       original: 3000

10200s = 170m
  3000s =  50m

So the two different durations are for two different versions,
presumably with the default being the shorter one, and consequently you
need to specify the editorial version if that's what you want.

 From a brief test here ...

	gipl --pid m001krfw --versions editorial -g

... looks like it should do it.

> You may question the sanity of someone that wants to watch 58 minutes of
> blather and bluster, let alone 170 minutes.. but I'm curious why the
> disparity and whether it's possible to get the full version.

Indeed, what a waste of 170m!  It's Boris Johnson, so, if you can see
his mouth moving, you know he's lying!