Audio portion of dash downloads slow

VeniVidiVideo venividivideoed at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 15:50:34 PDT 2022

On Mar 13, 2022, at 5:45 PM, Nick Payne <njhp94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I download a program with GiP using dash rather than hls, the initial separate download of the audio always comes down at only somewhere between 5% and 10% of the speed that I get when the video portion of the download is happening. Do other users see the same? This is with the latest v3.29 GiP.

Did the audio actually download in much less time than the video, overall?  So you're mainly concerned about the reported download speeds?

If so, it's possible that the audio, being much smaller than the video, is having its download speed calculated from many fewer samples, so it is less accurate.  Its measurement would also be drastically more affected by any startup and/or shutdown overhead that is included in the download time.  No guarantees, but as long as the audio is actually downloading in substantially less time than the video the problem may simply be in how these speeds are being calculated.

- larryy