Problems downloading Winter Olympics

MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News news at macfh.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 18:25:06 PST 2022

Duh!  Forgot to 'reply all' to include the mailing list ...

On 05/03/2022 21:00, Paul Phillips wrote:

> Where you downloading in HD or Full HD (1080) ?

See below!

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 at 20:54, MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News
> <news at macfh.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/03/2022 19:50, Paul Phillips wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am having difficulty downloading some of the Winter Olympics - it
>>> seems to affect broadcasts that are from the red button / digital
>>> channel. It ends up downloading small sound-only recordings - not even
>>> sound for the whole episode
>>>
>>> NB - My settings are set to record in FHD (full HD)
>>>
>>> Examples programmes that won't download:
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0blc3vb/winter-olympics-mixed-doubles-curling-great-britain-v-italy?seriesId=b00qfb83-424-day-1
>>
>> Downloaded fine for me in HD, duration 1:44:49
>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0blc4sk/winter-olympics-shorttrack-speed-skating-mixed-relay-final?seriesId=b00qfb83-424-day-1
>>
>> Ditto, duration 11:08
>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0bknsqp/winter-olympics-mixed-doubles-curling-great-britain-v-australia
>>
>> Ditto, duration 3:20:42, ends with pairs skating.
>>
>> I haven't watched any all the way through, but skipping through allowing
>> short sections to play, they all seem fine, though one passage on the
>> last had some video corruption.
>>
>>> Other Winter Olympics episodes download ok,, e.g. Today at the Games,
>>> in full HD (1080)
>>>
>>> It seems to me, Red Button recordings on iPlayer don't work, But TV
>>> channel ones do
>>>
>>> I use WebPVR and my recording quality settings are: fhd,hd,sd,web,mobile,high
>>
>> FWIW, I downloaded all the above using the following command ...
>>
>> perl <path>\get_iplayer.pl --profile-dir=<profile path> --type tv
>> --tvmode hlshd,dvfhd,hvfhd,dvfsd,hvfsd,dvfxsd,hvfxsd --pid <pid>
>> --file-prefix "<as appropriate>" -g
>>
>> ... noting that at one time my mode list was giving warning messages,
>> though still working, but that I think this is a corrected version that
>> did not.

The answer to your question is in the command-line above.  I wasn't
aware that you might be able to download any higher than 1280*720 at 50p,
but the '--info' command for your first download above ...

	--info --pid p0blc3vb

... gives ...

	modesizes: original:hvfhd1=14877MB,[...],dvfhd1=3986MB,[etc]

... suggesting that hvfhd might well be 1280*1080 at 50p, while my
parameter for '--tvmode' above tries to get the old hlshd (720 at 25p) mode
if available, then tries dvfhd (720 at 50p) if there's no 25p, so it would
never have tried to download hvfhd, and my size for that file is the
same as for dvfhd above.  Perhaps I should try changing my default order
for some things such as films, but I certainly won't for the Winter
Olympics, which essentially are mostly throwaway items.

However, out of interest, I've just tried giving the parameter as ...

	--type tv --tvmode hvfhd

... but the result was not touted to be 14GB or so ...

INFO: Downloading tv: 'Winter Olympics: Beijing 2022 - Mixed Doubles
Curling - Great Britain v Italy (p0blc3vb) [original]'
2.9% of ~4332.24 MB @  15.4 Mb/s ETA: 00:36:44 (hvfhd1/un) [audio+video]

... so it began normally enough, but didn't actually seem to be
downloading at significantly better quality than I already have, so I
stopped it.