'5 Live Science' not being found to download

fred.d fred.d at timelords.org.uk
Mon Apr 18 11:54:21 PDT 2022

--------------

... it finds all the previous versions before April this year that I've
already downloaded, listened to, and then deleted, and I don't want to
waste my bandwith downloading 550 or so programmes that I've already heard.

---------------

On your point about recursive - By default GiP will tell you that stuff
you have downloaded has "already been downloaded" and not attempt it
again (download_history file in your profile directory is a record
of...). So if you have a series or parent PID that's recursive this
should be really simple.

(If I want to download something that I've previously downloaded, then I
have to use --force to make it download again, and if it's physically
present in the download directory also add --overwrite to replace it. -
sometimes useful if you want a different format).

I don't download podcasts but I can't see why they would be any
different. I regularly use series Pids for TV that's being released each
week with a short retention period. It's the easiest way to make sure I
don't miss episodes.

I just "get_iplayer --pid-recursive --pid=<pid1>,<pid2>,<pid3> ... " and
dump this in a text file. Copy and paste to the command line and it
takes seconds. GiP does all the heavy lifting.

If your experience with recursive is different then maybe you have an
option set that's overriding it somehow - or maybe podcasts are different.