v3.28 Installation problems on W10

Chris Walker cdw_pcmail at the-walker-household.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 03:13:44 PST 2021

On Thu, 2021-12-09 at 10:27 +0000, Clive wrote:
> I've not had a problem installing get_iplayer in the past but this
> one
> is failing to start.
>
> I have d/l the x64 setup file from:
>
> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer_win32/releases/tag/3.28.0
>
> and get a file 32,433 (two separate d/ls to check).

Why download twice? That's what the sha files are for.

I've grabbed it to check and I get a file of 33,210,841 bytes.

If you don't know how to check the hash of a file, take a look at
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/d92a713f-d793-7bd8-b0a4-4db811e29559

> When I double-click, or right-click and Open, there is a brief flash
> of hour-glass then nothing happens. I have disabled my virus scanner
> and that has not helped. I have also tried the x86 file with the same
> results. Can anyone help please?

I've just tried the x64 version on a VirtualBox installation of W10 and
I get some command windows open which then disappear to leave me with
the UAC window. Once that's gone it installs without a problem.

Try running the installer from within a command window to see if that
throws up any error messages.

Hope that helps.