GiP doesn't like double quotes?

Chris Walker cdw_pcmail at the-walker-household.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 12:22:03 EDT 2020

On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 16:05 +0000, MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News wrote:
> On 25/10/2020 10:29, Chris Walker wrote:
> > I wanted to only download series 18 or later of Mock the Week so
> > cobbled
> > together this :-
> >
> > get_iplayer "Mock the Week: Series \b(1[8-9]|2[0-9])\b"
> >
> > It will run manually but not when run as part of the pvr.
> > Substituting
> > single quotes for doubles made it work. Any ideas why?
>
> Because, as with bash, Perl treats the contents of single quotes
> literally, while it interprets the contents of double quotes.  What
> exact misinterpretation of the double quoted example is making it
> fail,
> I'm not enough of a Perl expert to be certain, but almost certainly
> that'll be why.

The main problem was between the keyboard and the chair as usual. I had
cut and pasted from the command line and then copied that into my pvr
script. That included the get_iplayer string along with the search terms
in double quotes. I deleted the get_iplayer instruction and the double
quotes, ran the pvr function and the latest episode of Mock the Week
downloaded as expected.

Thanks for the reply and the private message I had from Paul Lautman
who's having problems posting to the list when using the Android GMail
client.

--
/ _/ _` \ V  V /  |  mailto:cdw_pcmail at the-walker-household.co.uk  |