RIAA wipes youtube-dl from the internet

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Sat Oct 24 10:24:45 EDT 2020

In article
<CAJdt=oEi_QpZipukrUuPDs9X_G9VGF4Q-k=L1=ypyQJP+wBstQ at mail.gmail.com>,
   Geoff Smith <gasssmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> This works for me :

> cd /usr/local/bin/
> sudo mv youtube-dl youtube-dl.$(date +%Y%m%d)
> sudo wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O
> /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
> sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

I just used

wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O youtube-dl

into a local directory in my user space, as I've done that in the past and
it worked fine.

I noticed that the process of fetching went though the following:

Fetched via

wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O <filename>

This produced

https://yt-dl.org/downloads/2020.09.20/youtube-dl

302 found

https://abf-downloads.openmandriva/ytdl/youtube-dl

i.e. came from the openmandriva address.

Is that correct and as should be expected? IIRC I've used github in the
past but can't recall how that may have looked different so want to check
the above means I did things correctly and have the right item from the
right source. [Note of advance apology: I had to retype the above, so there
might be a typo somewhere!]

Ta.

Jim

--