OT Video Conversion

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Oct 13 10:16:24 PDT 2019

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 05:25:41PM +0200, Dave Widgery wrote:
> I would like to copy some of my DVD collection onto hard disk to make them
> easier to access and I am getting very frustrated with downloading programs
> that claim to be free versions only to find out that in fact that it is a
> trial version, or in the case of a comprehensive program like Handbrake that
> is free but takes for ever to run on my pc.

> ffmpeg seams to be a very efficient program for converting video, is it
> possible to use it to extract video directly from the DVD video files, if so
> can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that explains how to do
> it.

ffmpeg delegates H.264 encoding to libx264, as does Handbrake. libx264 is an
excellent H.264 encoder -- I believe the BBC use it for encoding video for
iPlayer -- so anything else you may download is probably also just a fancy skin
over x264.

To put it another way, ffmpeg is going to be just as slow as everything else
you've tried. There are various useful (or at least OCD) reasons for getting
down and dirty with the ffmpeg command line, but I'm not convinced that you
would get any useful benefit from doing this sort of thing the hard way.

> I realise that it is unlikely to work directly from the DVD so I am using
> DVDshrink which allows me to create a hard disk decrypted version of the DVD
> ahead of any other video processing.

Just keep the decrypted DVD images around and play those, which is good enough
and involves a lot less time and effort doing decent transcodes. It's not like
they take much space in this era of cheap 8TB disks, which are good for over
1,000 DVD images.