OT Video Conversion

MacFH - C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Sun Oct 13 09:59:53 PDT 2019

Please see below ...

On 13/10/2019 16:25, Dave Widgery wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to copy some of my DVD collection onto hard disk to make
> them easier to access and I am getting very frustrated with
> downloading programs that claim to be free versions only to find out
> that in fact that it is a trial version, or in the case of a
> comprehensive program like Handbrake that is free but takes for ever
> to run on my pc.
> ffmpeg seams to be a very efficient program for converting video, is
> it possible to use it to extract video directly from the DVD video
> files, if so can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that
> explains how to do it.
>
> I realise that it is unlikely to work directly from the DVD so I am
> using DVDshrink which allows me to create a hard disk decrypted
> version of the DVD ahead of any other video processing
Actually I have been using Handbrake, and yes it does take some time,
but I think any program would, because I suspect re-encoding is needed.
A media file consists of parcels of data inside a file, so from the
point of view of the parcels, there are at least two possible variables,
the internal format of the parcels themselves, and the external format
of how the parcels are stored in the file. Hence media copying and
conversion operations fall into two categories, those that only need to
alter the format of how the parcels are stored in the file  -
relatively quick  -  and those that need to re-encode the parcels
themselves  -  relatively slow. I think converting it from *.VOB to
*.mp4 or *.mk4 is one of the latter, and, if I'm right about that, it
doesn't matter which program you use, it will take significantly
longer.  Certainly I know that when I've set FFMPEG to re-encode, it too
takes ages.

I'd stick with Handbrake, because it's pretty good.