OT problems listening to BBC Radio (via internet on Android and Firestick)

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Mon May 13 01:31:03 PDT 2019

On 25/04/2019 14:43, Dave Widgery wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry for posting this but having searched the internet haven't found
> anywhere to ask the question.
>
> For many years I have used a MXQ android (v4.2) box for a bit of TV
> but mainly for listening to BBC Radio, I always used Firefox rather
> than the BBC app as It was nice to be able to pause or even rewind a
> program if I needed to, facilities which the app doesn't have.
>
> But neither Firefox or Chrome (for android) work consistently on the
> MXQ box since the BBC have updated their site, I often have to refresh
> the page several times before the page displays properly. although the
> BBC Iplayer Radio App does work.
>
> Partly due to this and a requirement to be able to watch online TV I
> bought a Amazon Firestick (with Alexia) hoping to be able to ditch the
> MXQ box.
>
> It works great for TV, but neither the BBC Iplayer Radio App or the
> BBC Sounds App are supported (I have tried sideloading the apps
> without success) in addition neither the Amazon or firerfox web
> browsers work with the BBC site either, I have tried several radio
> apps in the Amazon store, but have not found any that allow you to
> also access replay content.
>
> I have tried contacting the App creators for both the BBC apps to ask
> if they are going to be supported on the firestick but not really had
> a response it is frustrating as I want to ditch the MXQ box and
> simplify the setup so my wife can use it.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance for any help
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,
Not sure exactly what you need but here are some easy sites to look for
what you want:-

OSMC, Kodi, Raspberry Pi

I use Vero 4K+, an affordable and neat cased device with slightly higher
specs than RPi and installed with OSMC/Kodi. There are dedicated Add-ons
for radio but I do not use for radio as I use BubbleDS on my Android
phone as control point playing through Linn Sneaky renderers.

Hope this helps.