Radio Comedy: Dad's Army et al ....

iplayer at nutwood.net iplayer at nutwood.net
Thu Mar 21 01:24:30 PDT 2019

On 20/03/2019 19:34, CJB wrote:

> Just been downloading the first series of DA radio eps. from iPlayer
> using get_iplayer.
>
> However I noticed some discrepancies.
>
> Some are 'original' others are 'shortened'
>
> Same pertains to Steptoe, Navy Lark, Hancock, etc.
>
> Why so?

I have been able to compare a handful of programmes of the type you
describe with the same examples which I downloaded some time ago, using
the now defunct 'Radio Downloader'. In these cases, the older downloads
were significantly longer due to the inclusion of a 'buffer' at each
end. This extra material would contain part of the last/next programme
as well as the continuity between.

I cannot say for certain that this is always the case for 'shortened'
programmes, but it seems possible. Was there a point in Iplayer history
where cutoff timing was made more accurate?

--
Mike Casswell