Steam radio...

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sun Mar 17 07:06:11 PDT 2019

On 2019-03-16 12:42, Jim web wrote:
> I've recently found an 'archive' page at
>
> bbc.co.uk/archive/steamtrains/
>
> which also links to old pages on each item it lists.
>
> My usual way of fetching items is to hover the mouse over a player
> window
> or link, or look at the programme's address to see the pid. Then give
> the
> pid to gip. But these items don't seem to show any pid either way.
>
> So am I missing something here, and how can I fetch the items I'd like
> from
> these pages? I have some of the video examples from a later
> 'collections'
> page, but am curious about the radio examples, etc. (Prompted by some
> Tv
> programmes on 'Hornby' :-) )

It's not clear from what you wrote if any of the links on that page lead
some place where the pid approach does work, so I looked at one link
picked
at random:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/steamtrains/7312.shtml

In the source of that page, where the embedded Flash video would be (I
think)
there is some Javascript:

  <script type="text/javascript">
  var emp = new bbc.Emp();
  emp.setDomId("emp1");
  emp.setWidth("512");
  emp.setHeight("323");
  emp.setPlaylist("http://"+location.host+"/archive/xml/73/12.xml");
  emp.write();
  </script>

I edited the page URL

   http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/steamtrains/7312.shtml

according to the playlist variable to produce

   http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/xml/73/12.xml

and fetched it.  It contains

  <media kind="video" width="384" height="288" type="video/x-flv">
    <connection kind="akamai" identifier="archive/white/OAT_BBC_7312"
      server="cp47317.edgefcs.net" tokenIssuer="akamaiUk"/>
  </media>

which basically means, I think, that the Flash source is stored on
that specific akamai server.  I'd assume that fetching it requires
one to direct the fetch request to that server - which might be
possible using a specially crafted URL...

Using firefox, I enabled Flash and reloaded the page with the
Tools - Web Developer - 'Web Console' open; when I clicked on
the 'play' button, firefox issued

GEThttp://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/gtis/?server=cp47317.edgefcs.net&identifier=archive/white/OAT_BBC_7312&kind=akamai&application=ondemand

I don't know if, say, cURL or wget would fetch the file for you if
you used a URL like that.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own