no more hslv format ?

Owen Smith owen.smith at cantab.net
Wed May 2 11:07:01 PDT 2018

What do you mean this isn't a lossy transcoding? How can ffmpeg go from 50fps to 25fps without losing anything? The frames are not all complete frames, software can't just throw alternate frames away. Well it could,  but the only way to do that is a full H.264 decode, then discard alternate frames, then a full H.264 encode again which is going to involve loss.

Most frames are not fully present in the original stream, they are interpolated from previous and subsequent frames. You can't throw any of those away, because other frames are interpolated from them. It would need to be a very special original encode which had all even frames only interpolated from other even frames and ditto for odd frames to allow alternate frames to be discarded. And a special encode like that would bloat the file size substantially, almost doubling it I would expect.

--
Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net>
Cambridge, UK