no more hslv format ?

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Wed May 2 05:16:18 PDT 2018

In article <60733938-d7ea-4db5-bd1d-2e6f07d25cab at zoho.com>, RS
<richard22j at zoho.com> wrote:

> On 30/04/18 13:56, Jim web wrote:
> > I've been discussing the 'loss' of the 1280x720 25fps version with
> > someone at the BBC.
> >
> > IIUC this stemmed from 'Red Bee' days of yore, and until recently
> > people at the BBC had thought they had stopped it long ago. Someone
> > apparently noticed recently that it was still available. And then
> > actually disabled it. Hence the mysterious recent ending of its
> > availablity.
> >
> > I have made the point that the 1280x720 25fps version is useful for
> > people with a content 'cap' problem, etc, so will be missed because
> > the 50fps version means somewhat bigger files and/or stream rates. But
> > I doubt this will cause a rethink.
> >

> HLS is a much more recent innovation than Flash.  get_iplayer now has
> its own built-in downloader which downloads HLS 2 or 3 times as fast as
> Flash.  HLS has been referred to as a legacy mode so it was always
> likely that it would be removed eventually.  The surprise was that HLS
> was removed at the same time as Flash.

> It is unrealistic to expect the BBC to restore HLS or Flash.

Understood. I've probably been conflating different issues

[snip BBC's comments]

> For that reason I find it surprising that 960x540p at 50fps "delivers
> significantly better pictures on TV screens across a wide range of
> popular content (such as EastEnders and Top Gear) due to its higher
> frame rate" than 1280x720p at 25fps but the BBC has done the viewing
> tests and I have not.

I'm also puzzled by this conclusion by the BBC. But I haven't viewed more
than a few of the 960x540 examples, so my findings may not be typical.

> More importantly BBC Four and to a lesser extent BBC 2 have a lot of
> programmes about paintings, sculpture, architecture and nature where
> there is a lot of fine detail and little motion.  Intuitively such
> programmes would not benefit from the higher frame rate but would
> benefit from the higher resolution.  There is no mention in the blog
> that such programmes were included in the viewing tests, and they ought
> to have been.

I'd agree. I'll see if I can pass forward some of these points. I need
to be able to contact someone further 'up the stack' to ask more
'policy' questions I guess. I know more about the radio side, so
I don't know how I'll get on with the tv side.

[edit] Just sent an email making some of the points. I also added
a comment of my own that I'd *much* prefer "Sky at Night" as the
1280x720 25fps than a lower resolution. Time will tell if I manage
to get someone 'higher up' to be willing to discuss this with me.

Jim

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm