no more hslv format ?

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Tue May 1 06:05:45 PDT 2018

On 01/05/2018 12:31, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
>> I've been discussing the 'loss' of the 1280x720 25fps version with
>> someone at the BBC.
> I miss those 1 GiB ~= 1 hour ones too.  They were `just right'.
Me too! :-(

>> It has also set me wondering about arranging for gip to fetch to ram
>> storage and then convert that into a file on my main disc.
> Is this Linux?  get_iplayer here uses the current working directory for
> all its large intermediate files.  If that was a `tmpfs' filesystem then
> they would all sit in RAM, unless you've swap space and pressure caused
> pages from the filesystem to be swapped out.

I'm using Windows 7 not Linux but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.
> You could use get_iplayer's --command option to run a command to move
> each final file off tmpfs as the download is finished.  Its --output
> affects all the intermediate files too, AIUI.

I've run the suggested command line instruction posted earlier and I'm
afraid it's a very time consuming process - assuming nothing else is
going on on my PC I get a conversion speed of approx 1.5x/1.6x (down to
maybe 1.2x if other processes are active). Maybe some of that could be
due to the relative slowness of hard drives. It would be good to know
how to modify the code to convert the programme files on the fly.

Regards

Alan

---