Format of options file

MacFH - C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 15:44:37 PST 2018

Please see below ...

On 03/03/2018 22:54, Bernard Peek wrote:

> On 03/03/18 17:33, James Scholes wrote:
>> RS wrote:
>>> The Windows download_history file seems to work correctly.  I hope I
>>> don't need to edit it.
>>
>> You've probably edited your options file by hand in the past,
>> resulting in a mixture of weird line endings from a Windows editor,
>> and appropriate ones when get_iplayer itself has updated it.  That's
>> just my guess after going through exactly the same thing recently.
>> I'd bet you probably don't go editing your download_history file by
>> hand very often so it's most likely fine.
>
> For what it's worth I noticed that under Windows the Wordpad program
> seems to understand UNIX style terminations and retains them.

Yes, so does the excellent tryit-ware program Textpad, which is
relatively cheap to license fully anyway, and for that you get just
about the best Windows programming editor there is.

But as the OP is changing over to Linux, perhaps the de facto standard
'dos2unix' would be a more appropriate recommendation. There are Windows
versions, but almost certainly it would be available from the original
Linux distro repository.  I can't recall what flavour of Linux the OP is
running, but in Ubuntu and similar distros ...
         sudo apt-get install dos2unix
... should install it, and ...
         man dos2unix
... should give instructions for using it.