Reduced resolution and sync problems

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Fri Jan 12 02:19:02 PST 2018

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:40 PM  I wrote

>Alan is right that the --tvmode aliases change their meaning from time to
>time.  For that reason I prefer to select the mode I want from
>https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref#recording-mode-details
>despite what it says after STOP.

>I don't think your problem is being caused by such a change.  That page
>only
>shows the current aliases and it is not easy to retrieve the historical
>information.  Even so
>--tvmode=vgood
>translates to
>--tvmode=hlsvhigh,hvfxhigh,dvfxhigh,hlsstd,hlsxstd,hvflow,hvflow

>600 Mbyte/h is about right for HLSvhigh.  I suspect what is happening is
>that your poor connection is causing errors and/or timeouts.  If there is
>an
>error which can't be recovered from get_iplayer will step through all the
>HLSvhigh modes and then on to the HVFxhigh modes and then on through the
>list.  If you are seeing separate video and audio downloads it may have got
>to DVFxhigh.

>That is only speculation.  To find out what is happening you will have to
>look at the get_iplayer stdout output.

I don't know whether Dave Widgery is bothering to read any of these replies.
There is a forum post on a similar subject at
https://forums.squarepenguin.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1618
This is an extract from the response from dinky.
"If you don't want get_iplayer to fall back to lower-quality streams, then
configure it to only attempt the mode(s) of interest, either permanently in
preferences or for a single download via command line. If your connection
drops you'll then be left with a partial download of the desired quality.
Downloads are resumable, so once the connection is restored, just re-run the
same get_iplayer command to complete the download.  You have the means to
run get_iplayer automatically with the PVR function. Downloads that fail
during one run should be picked up in the next. "

It seems to me that is good advice.

Best wishes
Richard